Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, April 08, 2011

Reuben Sandwich

Reuben Sandwich 1

The week after I got back from Oregon, I couldn't stop thinking about the Reuben sandwich I had at Thirsty Lion Pub & Grill - Tigard - Oregon. I wasn't up for paying $13 or for driving out to Langer's Delicatessen-Restaurant - Los Angeles.

So I bought Jewish rye bread, thick-cut pastrami, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut from the grocery store. Then made a quick version by popping it into the toaster oven. It just wasn't the same. I needed the thousand island dressing! And my cheat of mixing ketchup with mayonnaise just wasn't going to cut it.

The next day, I went back again. Because when I get a craaaving, I get craaavings! This time, I got corned beef, and asked for it to be cut as thin as possible. That was the first big difference. The second was buying both thousand island and Russian dressings, neither of which do I actually eat on salads, but were both essential for a really good Reuben sandwich.

All the proper components in place, I then toasted the sandwich before pan-grilling it with a pat of butter.

So good! Cravings finally satisfied.

I couldn't decided on whether it looked better for the photo to focus on the front of the plate.

Reuben Sandwich 2

Or the back, in which you can see into the heart of the Reuben sandwich.

Reuben Sandwich 3

I know. It's just a sandwich! But what a sandwich! I heart Reuben sandwiches so much. The peppery corned beef, the acerbic sauerkraut, the smooth binding of Swiss cheese, the tang of thousand island dressing. Can't skip the toasting and pan-grilling for the proper crunch.

This is my perfect Reuben sandwich.


Reuben Sandwich

You'll need:
2 slices rye bread, preferably Jewish, but any kind will do
As much corned beef as you'd like, sliced as thinly as possible
2 slices Swiss cheese, or provolone cheese will work too
1 tblsp sauerkraut
1 tsp thousand island and/or Russian dressing
1/2 tsp mustard
1 pat butter

I like to put the cheese next to the bread so it'll melt faster and to serve as a moisture barrier.

Reuben Sandwich 4

Layer with thinly sliced corned beef.

Reuben Sandwich 5

Nice generous layer of sauerkraut.

Reuben Sandwich 6

Thousand island dressing and mustard.

Reuben Sandwich 7

Let's throw on some Russian dressing too for tang. Smooth out the dressings.

Reuben Sandwich 8

Another layer of Swiss cheese.

Reuben Sandwich 9

Now, if you're just going to toast it, then spread some butter and put the sandwich in the toaster oven. But me, I like to toast it plain to make the bread crispy. About 5 minutes on the "toast" function or about 350 degrees should be enough to melt the cheese and crisp the bread.

Reuben Sandwich 10

Then add the butter and pan-grill on medium heat.

Reuben Sandwich 11

Look how gorgeous that sandwich looks after flipping.

Reuben Sandwich 12

At this stage, press down with the spatula or another pan so the sandwich is more cohesive.

Reuben Sandwich 13

Oooh, yum!

Reuben Sandwich 14

This soggy sandwich is what happens if you don't toast it before pan-grilling. Still tasty, but not as good.

Reuben Sandwich 15

Toast and grill. Perfect!

Reuben Sandwich 16

All Oregon posts can be found with the tag Series: Oregon, but I suggest reading this particular trip in this order:
I'm Coming Home
Bunk Sandwiches - Portland - Oregon
Horsetail Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Multnomah Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Wahkeena Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Bridal Veil Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Shepperd's Dell Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Latourell Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Stinging Nettle Soup
Stinging Nettle Tea
Crown Point Vista House (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Nai Xao Xa Cuon Banh Trang (Vietnamese Sauteed Lemongrass Venison Rice Paper Rolls)
Thirsty Lion Pub and Grill - Tigard - Oregon
Reuben Sandwich
Argyle Winery - Dundee - Oregon
Hawks View Cellars - Sherwood - Oregon
Clyde Common - Portland - Oregon
Teardrop Cocktail Lounge - Portland - Oregon
The Secret Society - Portland - Oregon
Toro Bravo - Portland - Oregon
Spanish Radicchio Salad with Manchego Olive Vinaigrette
The Tao of Tea - Portland - Oregon
Random Order Coffeehouse and Bakery - Portland - Oregon
Stumptown Coffee Roasters (Division St. Original Location) - Portland - Oregon

*****
1 year ago today, Canh Du Du (Vietnamese Papaya Soup).
2 years ago today, Blood Orange Shortbread Bars.
3 years ago today, Angkor Wat - Cambodia.
4 years ago today, Southern Fried Chicken, Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes, and Cream Gravy.

2 comments:

  1. Looks lovely WC! I think nowadays you get Thousand Island, ven if they say Russian Dressing. Best reuben, which is one of my weaknesses I've evre had was made with creme fraiche instead of yogurt and really good horseradish....man, now I just can't stop thinking of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirk,
    I've never heard of adding creme fraiche to Reuben sandwiches, but the horseradish sounds amazing. I'll have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!