Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mashed Cauliflower

Mashed Cauliflower 1

So now that you know How to Fry the Perfect Steak and you've made Pan Gravy to go with it, what else are you going to pour that gravy on?

The standard answer would be mashed potatoes, Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes even, if you like.

The non-standard answer, which you can obviously see by the title of this post, is mashed cauliflower. Perfect for low-carb eaters. For people who like cauliflower in general. Or for people who like the texture and flavor of mashed potatoes, but don't want that heavy feeling in the belly afterward. I discovered the wonders of mashed cauliflower years ago during an experiment with Atkins, but still make it today because it just tastes good.

I mean, c'mon. Look. Can you really see a difference between mashed cauliflower and mashed potatoes? It tastes pretty similar too.

Mashed Cauliflower

You'll need:
1 head cauliflower
1/2 stick or more of butter
1/2 cup or more of milk
Salt, to taste

Wash and cut the head of cauliflower into sections.

Boil until soft.

Drain.

Add some butter, milk, and salt and start mashing. Adjust according to your taste. If you like your mashed cauliflower a little chunky, then you're done.

Mashed Cauliflower 2

If you want the texture and creaminess of mashed potatoes, then use a hand-blender or food processor and puree until it's really smooth.

Mashed Cauliflower 3

See? Looks pretty darn much like mashed potatoes.

Mashed Cauliflower 4

Serve it as a side to a nice steak and pour some gravy on top.

Mashed Cauliflower 5

Enjoy!

Other mashed recipes:
Mashed Okinawan Purple Sweet Potatoes
Mashed Potato-Stuffed Potato Skins
Pate Chinois (Canadian "Chinese" Shepherd's Pie)
Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes

*****
1 year ago today, Sura Korean Cuisine - Oakland.
2 years ago today, Ham, Tomato, and Sprout Sandwich.
3 years ago today, Pastel de Tres Leches (Nicaraguan Cake of Three Milks).

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I'd like mine made with olive oil instead of butter :P I've never had mashed cauliflower but now that's gonna change. Yours look incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drooling over here. I love cauliflower and I love mashed potatoes. I wouldn't mind swapping it out for the most part. Not all the time though....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna,
    I thought more people would be excited about a low-carb alternative to mashed potatoes, but I guess not? Olive oil would be healthier, but I love my butter. :P

    Kitty,
    Yay! Finally someone likes the idea of mashed cauliflower! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!