Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Museum of the Oregon Territory - Oregon City

Day 3.5 Museum of the Oregon Territory - Oregon City 1

By the time I finished touring the Stevens-Crawford Heritage House and made my way back down the hill, I literally had 15 minutes at the Museum of the Oregon Territory before it closed.

The museum wasn't that big so as long as I didn't linger, I had enough time. A Southern couple, whom I saw earlier that day at the End of Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, powered through the museum too. I heard the wife say they should split up reading opposite placards and then share information at the end. Such dedication!

An old pharmacy display.

Day 3.5 Museum of the Oregon Territory - Oregon City 2

The museum sits on top of a small bluff overlooking the Willamette River. From this angle, I had an unblocked view of Willamette Falls and the mill that was obscured from the vista point on the opposite side of the river.

Day 3.5 Museum of the Oregon Territory - Oregon City 3

Some old-fashioned dresses.

Day 3.5 Museum of the Oregon Territory - Oregon City 4

Can you imagine walking around in such elaborate dress, or trying to get work done with such long sleeves?

Day 3.5 Museum of the Oregon Territory - Oregon City 5

So pretty!

Day 3.5 Museum of the Oregon Territory - Oregon City 6

In 1966, construction workers from C.J. Montag discovered this petroglyph while excavating for a new footing around the fishway on Willamette Falls. It has been on display at the museum since 1990.

Day 3.5 Museum of the Oregon Territory - Oregon City 7

Trade beads.

Day 3.5 Museum of the Oregon Territory - Oregon City 8

Native American stone fish weights.

Day 3.5 Museum of the Oregon Territory - Oregon City 9


The museum allows wedding receptions and they'll even open up the exhibits for you to browse. The history nerd in me rejoices.

All Oregon posts can be found in the tag, Series: Oregon. I suggest reading this particular trip in this order:
I-5 From LA to Portland
Mom and Dad's Garden
Burgerville - Portland - Oregon
Hakatamon - Beaverton - Oregon
I Think I'll Go For a Walk Outside Now...
Vista Point - Oregon City
End of Oregon Trail Interpretive Center - Oregon City
Stevens-Crawford Heritage House - Oregon City
Museum of the Oregon Territory - Oregon City
Mom's Banh Xeo (Vietnamese Sizzling Crepes)
Blackberry Cobbler
Bonneville Lock and Dam - Cascade Locks - Oregon
Bonneville Hatchery - Cascade Locks - Oregon
Multnomah Falls - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Wahkeena Falls - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Bridal Veil Falls - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Historic Columbia River Highway - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Latourell Falls - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Crown Point Vista House - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Banh Cuon Tan Dinh - Portland - Oregon (Closed)
Downtown Portland - Oregon
Lan Su Chinese Garden (Portland Classical Chinese Garden) - Portland - Oregon
Powell's City of Books - Portland - Oregon
Mom's Geoduck, Dynamite-Style and Chao Oc (Vietnamese Rice Porridge with Clams)

How to Prepare Geoduck and Razor Clams
Geoduck, Japanese Dynamite-style
Chao Oc (Vietnamese Rice Porridge with Clams)
Le Bistro Montage - Portland - Oregon
Kenny and Zuke's Delicatessen - Portland - Oregon

Museum of the Oregon Territory
211 Tumwater Dr.
Oregon City, OR 97045
503-655-5574
Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday noon to 4 p.m.
Admission: free as part of the admission ticket to the End of Oregon Trail Interpretive Center - Oregon City.

*****
1 year ago today, a gigantic tub of ghee (Indian clarified butter) in Little India.
2 years ago today, musings about my family's tradition of sending care packages in the form of banh tet (Vietnamese lunar new year sticky rice cakes).

2 comments:

  1. this post reminds me of oregon trail. i hated it when i'd try to ford the river and my oxen dies. my goodness, i would hate to ford a river in THAT dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ila,
    You must've missed my post on the End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center. I totally mentioned fording that silly river. I played the Oregon Trail game on Facebook, but after a while, got bored. I guess low-brow computer games were only fun way back when.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!